The BMI index is often used to determine cardiovascular risk, or risk for diabetes in a person. Different variables used, along with height and weight, are waist circumference and waist to hip ratio that have shown to be effective in determining risk (Savva, Laminsos, & Kafatos, 2013). The correlation comes from the two variables when one variable is associated with another that is higher or lower (Bennett, Briggs, & Triola, 2018). Waist circumference related to height and weight and can show level of obesity, and therefore determine risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes (Savva, Laminsos, & Kafatos, 2013). Overall body fat percentage would be another useful variable in determining risk. If we measured body fat percentage with glucose levels, which determines if a person has diabetes or not, and made a scatter plot graph we may find a positive correlation between high percentages of body fat and high glucose levels. Not all people that are obese are diabetic though. So, we may find a moderate correlation where the correlation coefficient of r is between 0.3 and 0.7. Looking at the data we can also see a positive slope of 1.028 which means the line of best fit is increasing with data points in close proximity which verifies a strong correlation. So, we can say that there is a correlation between obesity and diabetes, but obesity is not necessarily the cause of diabetes. On a scatter plot, the weight of patients may be on the x axis with weights ranging from 200 to 300lbs. They axis would be glucose ranging from 200-300. The results could show a correlation coefficient of 0.8319 and a coefficient of determination of 0.6921 which is actually a strong positive correlation. The conclusion is that it is best to control body weight to decrease the chances of having diabetesReferencesBennett, J., Briggs, W., & Triola, M. (2018). Statistical Reasoning for Everyday Life (5th ed.). Boston: Pearson.Savva, S., Laminsos, D., & Kafatos, A. (2013). Predicting cardiometabolic risk: waist-to-height ratio or BMI. A meta-analysis. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, and Obesity: Targets and Therapy, 403-419.
Free up your time by getting your academic assignments done faster- without compromising on quality!
Custom Academic Papers
100% Original, Plagiarism Free, Customized to your instructions!
The BMI index is often used to determine cardiovascular ris
Our Service Charter
- Professional & Expert Writers: Solving Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
- Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have 5+ years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
- Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by us are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
- Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Solving Essays is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
- Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
- 24/7 Customer Support: At Solving Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all our customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.