How does abuse affect toddlers? According to Amanda Perkins MSN, RN, “In the United States, there are four recognized types of child abuse: physical, sexual, psychological/emotional, and neglect. Out of these four types, neglect is the most common, followed by physical abuse.” Child abuse occurs in all ages although infants/children are the most common. When a child is abuse, usually some social development difficulties and mental health problems precede the incident lasting their entire lives. Toddlers are 12-36 months of age and are one of the most common age group to be abused, especially since they are not able to communicate as well. Toddlers may display psychological and physical symptoms, or a combination of both. Examples of physical abuse seen in toddlers are: burns, bruising in different stages, lacerations, fractures, dislocation, injuries that mirror the shape of an object, welts, fear of going home, and wariness of adults/caregivers. Possible signs of sexual abuse recurrent urinary tract infections, STDs, enur e sis, redness/swelling of genitalia, and inappropriate interest in sexuality beyond the child’s developmental level. Behavioral changes can include poor hygiene, developmental delays, lack of supervision, apathy, depression, hostility, and difficulty concentrating. There are some cultures that have healing methods used that causes petechiae or bruising. These methods can be misconstrued as child abuse or maltreatment, and often get reported to CPS. Examples of these healing methods include “coining”, “cupping”, and “spooning”, which produce symmetrical markings on the skin. These healing methods are used in traditional Chinese culture. As nurse we are obligated to report any sign or suspicions of abuse, which is mandated in all 50 states. The failure to report any sign of abuse is, a crime itself. When an abused kid comes into our hospital/clinic we are supposed to notify Child Protective Services (CPS) and local Police departments in severe cases, where the child is separated from the parent. Children are precious gifts from God, for which our jobs are to advocate and protect them from any possible abuse. Reference: Perkins. A. (2018). Nursing Center: The red flags of child abuse. Volume 16 (2), p 34 – 41. Retrieved from: https://www.nursingcenter.com/cearticle?an=00152258-201803000-00008&Journal_ID=417221&Issue_ID=4524655****** please response to discussion above with a paragraph add citation and references 😉 ********
Free up your time by getting your academic assignments done faster- without compromising on quality!
Custom Academic Papers
100% Original, Plagiarism Free, Customized to your instructions!
How does abuse affect toddlers? According to Amanda Perkins
Our Service Charter
- Professional & Expert Writers: Solving Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
- Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have 5+ years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
- Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by us are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
- Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Solving Essays is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
- Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
- 24/7 Customer Support: At Solving Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all our customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.