Assignment Two: What’s in a Genre?There are many different forms of literature, and one of the biggest differences is in genre. Is a text a novel? Essay? Short story or poem? Of course, there are distinctions even within genres, but one of the first things we notice about a text is what kind of text it is. Similarly, when a writer decides to write something, genre is often the first thing he or she will consider. Could you imagine Romeo and Juliet as a short story? Or Frankenstein as a sonnet? Authors choose to work in a specific genre because of what that genre lends them in terms of length, breadth, publishability, and more. What happens, then, when two different authors try to tackle similar topics in different genres? What can we learn by comparing and contrasting texts that deal with closely related subject matters but in different ways?For this assignment, you will choose two texts that you have read for this class. Each text must be from a different genre. For example, you may want to choose one play and one poem, or one short story and one essay. Your selections must represent two different genres but deal with similar issues. You may want to consider how race is dealt with in Baldwin’s “Sonny’s Blues” and Countee Cullen’s “Incident.” Or perhaps you’re interested in how women’s lives are represented in a play like “Trifles” and a short story like “A Worn Path.” Maybe you’re interested in how language is used differently in different genres, how the form allows an author to express him or herself in different ways. Whatever you choose, you should choose texts that allow you to compare and contrast both how the authors deal with their subject matter but also how genre considerations can change the way this issue is represented.Some things to think about:Does the length of a specific genre change how this issue is represented? Even if a poem is very short, does that make it less complex than a short story or an essay? If you’re writing about a play, how does it change your understanding of the text when the majority of it is dialogue?Your paper should be 2-4 pages, (roughly 500-1,000 words, though more is okay), double spaced and in a regular sized font. Be sure to proofread!
Free up your time by getting your academic assignments done faster- without compromising on quality!
Custom Academic Papers
100% Original, Plagiarism Free, Customized to your instructions!
Assignment Two: What’s in a Genre?There are many different
Our Service Charter
- Professional & Expert Writers: Solving Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
- Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have 5+ years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
- Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by us are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
- Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Solving Essays is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
- Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
- 24/7 Customer Support: At Solving Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all our customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.