Another textbook, Structure of Argument, discusses three kinds of claims for an argument: claims of fact, value, and policy.A claim of fact states a fact, like ‘Half of this class is women.’Claim of fact needs to be supported bysufficient and appropriate datareliable authoritiesfacts or inferences: interpretationThe writer should make clear when she is offering an inference (interpretation) rather than a fact.claim of value: a claim that asserts that some things are more or less desirable than othersClaims of value may sometimes be difficult to distinguish from claims of fact, and its not absolutely necessary. What are the values that underly our beliefs?A claim of value, like ‘free speech is more important than protecting everyone’s feelings from being hurt,’ involves conceptions or ideas that act as standards for judging what is right or wrong, worthwhile or worthless, beautiful or ugly, good or bad.Claims of value involve the values of audience, but “a majority preference is not enough to confer moral value” (169). Just because most people supported slavery in the times of Ancient Greece doesn’t mean it was right.claim of policy: a claim that specific courses of action should be instituted to solve problemsClaims of policy: presuppose a problem and that something should or should not be done. However, avoid offering a solution to a huge problem. ‘Youtube should convene a board of experts to help make decisions about what content to ban.’Examples: Write on the line what kind of claim you think this is, a claim of fact, value, or policy: Although seeking peace is a right and morally just act, their governments punish those who speak against war for their “unpatriotic” acts. ______Taking all of this into account, it becomes evident that the FCC is a hindrance to America, and, on top of that, is a flagrant violation of American people’s inalienable rights of free speech and must be abolished immediately. ____There has been a big question mark, from the racist and sexist speech to the words or symbols printed on a T-shirt; the boundaries for speech to be defined as hate speech are still to be determined. _______In both “Student Sues” and “Bethel School District,” we see two public schools punishing students for using their free speech. _______The Supreme Court stated “that forcing a group to accept certain members may impair its ability to ‘express those views, and only those views, that it intends to express’” (Johnson 596). ________Write here 3 claims of fact, value, and policy (1 of each kind) that you are making in your own essay 1 on free speech:
Free up your time by getting your academic assignments done faster- without compromising on quality!
Custom Academic Papers
100% Original, Plagiarism Free, Customized to your instructions!
Another textbook, Structure of Argument, discusses three kin
Our Service Charter
- Professional & Expert Writers: Solving Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
- Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have 5+ years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
- Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by us are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
- Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Solving Essays is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
- Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
- 24/7 Customer Support: At Solving Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all our customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.