After reading the articles by Redman, Lenburg, and Walker (1999), and Lenburg, Abdur-Rahman, Spencer, Boyer, and Klein (2011):Discuss how the COPA competencies influence nursing education. In recent years, nursing education has become dramatically influenced by COPA related competencies. Nursing education is influenced by the COPA model by the use of a “coordinated curriculum framework that promotes competence for practice” (Lenburg, Abdur-Rahman, Spencer, Boyer & Klein, 2011, p. 290). As described by the clinical examples shared by Lenburg, et al., (2011), the combination of the instructor’s and a student’s clear understanding of the expectations in a course, lab scenario, or on a unit in an institution that incorporates the use of COPA model competencies will enable the outcome to be more effective and positive for the patient. One of the illustrations of how a program can use COPA competencies to influence nursing education was of a Vermont Nurse Internship program where principles were utilized to provide “the essential framework to emphasize critical thinking over tasks; concepts over cases; integrated, actual performance over test results; and performance-based expectations over procedures” (Lenburg, et al., 2011, p. 294). The use of the COPA model for education of nurses in institutions has also been shown to promote the “efforts designed to confront the need for more competent nurses and ensure patient safety” (Lenburg, et al., 2011, p. 296).Provide an example to support your belief. My belief is that the influence that COPA competencies have on nursing education is evident in a multitude of ways especially through what we have learned in advancing our degrees in nursing over the past couple of years. Three examples that I can reflect on during my studies here at Thomas Edison State University include the clarity of the expectations for each course and how they related to COPA model competencies, the online educating process used in our Advanced Health Assessment course to deem one competent in health assessment through didactic and lab related scenarios, and the development of our BSN E-portfolios as a synopsis of the seven outcomes required in our curriculum. The first example can be supported by the fact that throughout each course at Thomas Edison State University, there has been a “template that includes a standard set of definitions, explanations, and other information related to competency-based approaches and methods. This insures that students are continuously reminded of performance expectations required for the course within the context of contemporary practice’ (Redman, Lenburg, & Walker, 1999, p. 6). Secondly, I felt the Advanced Health Assessment course at TESU put much emphasis on the COPA model and some of Lenburg’s core competencies (1999) such assessment and interventional skills, communication skills, critical thinking skills, human caring and relationship skills, teaching skills and knowledge integration through the clinical scenarios and assignments in that course. Lastly, the development of our BSN E-portfolio is validation of our educational achievements through use of the COPA model related competencies outlined in this program. It is important to remember that all these approaches to ensuring nursing competency are also successful and used in nursing programs where students are becoming nurses for the first time. The use of these approaches to competency based education has shown employers that “the transition of graduates into practice settings will be more effective, efficient and successful” (Redman, et al., 1999, p. 6).ReferencesLenburg, C. B. (1999). The Framework, concepts and methods of the competency outcomes and performance assessment (COPA) model. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 4(2). Retrieved on February 12, 2019 from http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Volume4199/No2Sep1999/ COPAModel.htmlLenburg, C. B., Abdur-Rahman, V. Z., Spencer, T. S., Boyer, S. A., & Klein, C. J. (2011). Implementing the COPA model in nursing education and practice settings: Promoting competence, quality care, and patient safety. Nursing Education Perspective, 32(5), 290-296.Redman, R., Lenburg, C., & Walker, P. H. (1999). Competency assessment: Methods for development and implementation in nursing education. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 4(2). Retrieved on February 18, 2019 from http://www.nursingworld.org/Main Menu Categories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Volume41999/No2Sep 1999/InitialandContinuingCompetenceinEducationandPracticeCompetencyAssessment MethodsforDeve.html1. Please read the the top and comment on it 2. must me at-least 300 words
Free up your time by getting your academic assignments done faster- without compromising on quality!
Custom Academic Papers
100% Original, Plagiarism Free, Customized to your instructions!
After reading the articles by Redman, Lenburg, and Walker (1
Our Service Charter
- Professional & Expert Writers: Solving Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
- Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have 5+ years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
- Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by us are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
- Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Solving Essays is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
- Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
- 24/7 Customer Support: At Solving Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all our customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.