1. Trying to Strike a Balance In order to bargain for the health and safety of employ- ees, the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers Union demanded that several employers disclose the generic names of chemical substances used or produced, as well as the medical records of employees. The employers refused, claiming that disclosure would both invade the privacy of employees and compromise trade secrets. With some limitations, the NLRB in 1982 held that the employers did not bargain in good faith when they refused to divulge such information.* While upholding the union’s request, the board asserted that few matters could be of greater concern to employees “than exposure *Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing Co., 261 NLRB 27 (1982). 7. Of all the personal attributes that this chapter has indicated are important for labor relations negotiators to have, which single one do you consider to be the most important, and why? 8. “Successful labor contract bargaining should no longer be viewed as an ‘art.’ It is far more appropriate today to refer toitasa‘science.’ ”Discuss. 9. “No manager who is prone to either ulcers or accepting ver- bal statements at face value belongs at the labor-relations bargaining table.” Discuss, after explaining what this means. 10. “From the viewpoint of management, there is a great deal to be said for the policy of Boulwarism.” Do you agree or disagree with this statement? 11. “From the viewpoint of the national interest, work stop- pages in baseball, our national pastime, should be made illegal.” Comment fully. to working conditions potentially threatening their health, well-being or their very lives.” However, the board also ruled that the employers could conceal individual employee identities before turn- ing over the medical records and also that the manage- ments did not have to disclose the generic names of chemicals that constituted proprietary trade secrets. Thus, the NLRB attempted to strike a balance between conflicting interests: the employer’s desire to protect both worker privacy and trade secrets and the union’s need for material information about potentially life- threatening work conditions. How do you feel about this NLRB decision? ■Trying to Strike a Balance: found in your textbook. Your response should be between 300-500 words, 12 pt. font, double spaced, 1′ margins.
Free up your time by getting your academic assignments done faster- without compromising on quality!
Custom Academic Papers
100% Original, Plagiarism Free, Customized to your instructions!
1. Trying to Strike a Balance In order to bargain for the he
Our Service Charter
- Professional & Expert Writers: Solving Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
- Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have 5+ years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
- Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by us are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
- Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Solving Essays is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
- Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
- 24/7 Customer Support: At Solving Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all our customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.